Thursday 7 February 2013

FESTIVAL MAGAZINES AND POSTERS

CLASH


I'm now analysing components which go in to creating a festival magazine.
Clash magazine is a popular UK music magazine, which looks at various music styles and also has a section which features festivals. Clash magazine focuses on music and fashion. The music side of things consist of particular topics. These include: News, reviews on artists and festivals, new artists and festivals; it's a versatile magazine. The festival section focuses on 3 main things- latest news, features and reviews.
Simon Harper is the editor of the magazine and in 2011 they changed their design, which led to a more artistic approach. This could be due to the fact that the style of music is ever changing and there are more genres of music dominating the typical, mainstream genres. This may be why they have quite a big focus on festivals- festivals used to be a niche market, but now it has become more mainstream.
The Clash Brand now extends to live events, as well as festival partnership. As a main part of the magazine's concept is based around festival features, this will be a good magazine to analyse. It well help me combine my festival theme with the genre R&B.




_original

This is a front cover from Clash magazine. It's a feature with Kanye West. They have used a medium shot to emphasise on his facial expression, which is very serious( you can't see his eyes, which means you rely on the expression from his mouth to get a sense of his mood). As well, the sub heading relates to his sunglasses. I think I may relate my subheading to the expression or attitude my model has. He looks very edgy. The font colours, background colours and even the colour of his clothes, all contrast together. They have used a gradient tool for the background to blend a dark blue in to a slightly lighter blue. This links in with the white and blue font used, as well as the jacket he's wearing. The jacket also has black in it, which contrasts with his glasses. 

The title is bold, which makes it stand out. They have also reversed the 's' in Clash. It makes it unique, as well as it being easy to establish the magazine with this creative twist.  The text on the page which says 'featuring' is something which i may use, as a way of advertising the range of artists that will be included. Also, for people to establish that it's a festival magazine, I am going to do a similar idea and have a piece of text saying- Bringing you the latest festival music and trends.





This is a festival poster I found on the internet. The reason I chose to look at this is because I need to figure out the correct background and fonts for my magazine. The colours are typically 'earthy' and 'neutral'. Festivals usually represent this. I think that I will use a contrast of colours like these, to represent my festival theme. At the same time, I will need to consider the type of clothing my Artist will be wearing because as I have been researching magazines, I have noticed that more than likely, the clothing and font and background have a consistency to it and therefore it has an effortless flow. I think blue, yellows will be used quite alot throughout my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment